It still amazes me how totally, utterly clueless I was before having a child. In my arrogance borne of inexperience, I freely judged other people’s parenting whilst holding a very clear idea of exactly the type of parent I would be. No nonsense parenting, impeccably mannered children, days full of enriching activities and never a raised voice.
I’ve pretty much managed the no raised voice thing, but then I’ve never been very loud anyway.
Here are some HILARIOUS thoughts I had while I was pregnant about the type of parent I would be that now make me laugh so much I wet my Tena lady (joke….?)
- I have done ALL the breastfeeding research and I am going to ROCK breastfeeding from the start.
- I won’t use my phone around my child, my attention will be solely focused on them.
- I might get rid of the TV, we don’t watch it much anyway and we certainly won’t be letting our child watch it.
- My baby will be calm and rational and sleep through the night from an early age.
- I will be very strict with my baby and won’t go running at every cry.
- I will recite times tables to them as they drift off to sleep so they become ingrained and second nature to them as they grow up.
- I will speak French to them every day, even though I don’t speak French myself, I will learn it through teaching.
- I will use only cloth nappies from the moment we bring our new baby home from hospital.
- I will be back at work by the time my baby is 3 months old.
- I will use my maternity leave productively to sort the house out.
- I will be very disciplined with pelvic floor exercises so I can freely jump on trampolines with my child when they are older.
Ohhhh, so many lols!
What pre-child ideas of parenting did you have that now make you laugh? Or have you stuck to your guns on everything?